20.2.10

grace

these are snippets from some of my favourite or what i found to be the most thought-provoking comments in following Scott Schumann's post/s in regard to grace on his blog The Sartorialist.
there's probably hundreds more that have been posted since i saved these; it was a week or two ago if i recall correctly.

-1.I try to notice every little thing the man I love is doing for me, he does the same, and it helps us to be happier.
-2.He ensures that each time we cross a street and are walking on the sidewalk that he is on the traffic "street" side. So gallant.
-3.What I loved most about it wasn't the flower, it was the gesture. Of him trying to figure out how to be a man that could be thoughtful as well as tough.
-4.The way he puts his hand at the small of my back.
-5.Well done piece. I have yet to read anything be it a mens/women magazine, newspaper style sections, etc.. about manners and grace. I think I actually learned that from my parents at a very young age, and living abroad from youth to adulthood (amazing what you can observe from other cultures).
-6.Problem is though, I think a lot of people lack it so much, it's not even thought of. Sad really. Thanks for the reminder.
-7.This is a great post Scott. But sometimes those little things aren't as glamorous as holding a door or moving a candle but they make your life so much better. Here are a few things my lovely husband of more than 25 years does for me:
-Puts out my vitamins every morning before we leave for work
-Routine car maintenance
-Shops for food
-Cleans the bathroom without being asked
-Goes to the doctor with me when I am scared
-Loves the dog as much as I do
-Is an amazing father and good friend to our adult sons
-8.One idea you might want to look into is the really long history of manners / grace / gracefulness -- I'm thinking back to Castiglione's conception of "sprezzatura" in his book The Book of the Courtier (1528). An English translation published shortly after the Italian original translated the Italian sprezzatura as "nonchalance," which is a pretty sweet idea.
-9.My man leaves handwritten (and illustrated!) notes for me all the time
-10.My love is abroad right now, but he has hidden gifts for me around our home-- a bottle of cabernet atop our kitchen cabinets, bars of chocolate taped to cabinet ceilings. Every now and again he'll say, "Go look...," and have me giddy and laughing over my great new find. His thoughtfulness is limitless. I feel so loved, and so boundlessly thankful for this man, for his presence during his absence.
-11.It doesn't even have to be a boyfriend - just by smiling at a stranger, or holding the door for the next person getting in the room...
-12.A former boyfriend of mine once downloaded the movie "the lionking", knowing it to be my all time favourite and then made me popcorn to go with it. We curled up on a matress on the floor by his computer and sang along with all the songs. That's the best date I've ever been on. The smallest favour but the sweetest thing in the world at the same time.
-13.What makes my heart flutter is that my man is a feminist, and encourages other men to be. It's still a man's world in many ways; 'feminism' is not a dirty word and we should all be advocating equality :) plus, it's sexy.
-14.My boyfriend of six years sends me sweet SMS messages every once in a while. They are always totally unexpected protestations of his love for me and cause me to break into a huge smile every time. The most recent was "I've been crushing on you lately." To know that he not only loves me, but is still IN love with me is truly awesome.
-15.To have this come from you is of no little importance. Gentlemanliness, a subject which engages me personally and professionally, might be considered a lost art. Those with influence can do nothing better than publicly to promote its cultivation, or else to lament its absence. Kudos.
-16.I think you're completely right! i love striving to be a strong independent woman, but i also want a man who doesn't make me feel smaller by "taking care of me", but when manner and grace are innate to him you only feel better and appreciated.
-17.My man is overseas at the moment. When I was sick a few weeks back, he rang me up, made sure I was tucked in bed, then began reading aloud to me from one of my favorite books. It's those loving, thoughtful gestures that garner my deep respect and make me want to hug him so tight.
-18.What a beautiful blog post! There are a few dresses that I wear that I have a hard time zipping up or off. My boyfriend always helps me by unzipping it for me when I get home from work or from the evening. He always unzips it (without me asking) and gives me a small kiss on my upper back. Everytime. It is a small gesture but one that reminds me of how lucky I am to have someone who shows me such a small gesture of kindness but yet filled with so much love.
-19.While I'm generally not a fan of the commercialized Valentine's Day, I'm always pleasantly reminded that the love that is supposed to be celebrated doesn't have to be romantic love, and that has always been because of the little things that my father does.
-20.Giving me a hug when my bottom lip begins to shake.
-21.I'm not a touchy-feely person and don't like public displays of affection which sometimes make me feel like the most unloving person in the world. And it doesn't help that I don't smile a lot. But, I do like it when my boyfriend holds my hand when we're crossing the road, when he leads me up a tram or a bus, or when he helps me step out of the car. Again, his smile tops it off.
-22.Your photos are filled with this sort of graciousness. Thanks for this.
-23.I believe a man is truly seen in the little day to day gestures-not the grand ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your thoughts will be read and appreciated, thanks for taking the time x