21.12.09

i’m pretty sure that when a baby is born, the doctor informs the mother whether or not their child is a mere mortal or a paris vogue.


Photobucket
^ screen shots from Dappled Cities' The Price music video. just remembered the warm golden quality of this clip this morning while voting for Triple J's annual Hottest 100 poll. and i'm glad i did. god i love anything that vaguely resembles fairy lights..and the lightbulbs as microphones was a great late addition.

my chosen songs for the 2009 Triple J Hottest 100:

1.Andrew Bird - Oh No
2.Bloc Party - One More Chance
3.Cold War Kids - Audience
4.Dappled Cities - The Price
5.John Steel Singers - Luxembourg
6.Jonathan Boulet - A Community Service Announcement
7.Julian Casablancas - 11th Dimension
8.Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man
9.Temper Trap, The - Love Lost
10.Tim & Jean - Come Around
 
for a long time i considered voting for Paul Dempsey. he's had a fairly large impact on my musical upbringing, due to my sister's and the radio's heavy heavy airplay during primary/early highschool. but that was while he was a part of Something for Kate, and not off on his own solo tangent. when i was younger, i guess about 10-6 years ago, i absolutely hated him. i hated Monsters, the only song that i ever really listened to of SFK's at the time. i hated him, because he was different to what i was used to, and now that's what i love most about that group and Paul. but his album didn't prove to be as life-changing as i had expected this year, so he made it only to my shortlist.

my inspiration for and way of voting in the Hottest 100 is not necessarily the songs that i've just ~liked throughout the year so much..because there's far too many of those..
but i tend to instead vote for the songs that have opened my mind to an issue or have lyrically (or musically, or anything else-ly) brought something new to the table.
i like to also bring forth personal snapshots and moments in 2009 that were accompanied by a song or two.
so the artists that have done something entirely new and inspiring in my eyes, i vote for.
if i have spent a special moment in the company of a song and it brings me big de ja vu..then i also often vote for that song.
theres a whole heap of reasons behind my particular votes and way of culling songs off the shortlist (i always ALWAYS end up with eleven absolutely perfect, votable, songs..but ten can only go through..)
..but,what im trying to really get across is that i try not to vote for songs that have just tickled my fancy thoughout the year gone by, - although there is absolutely nothing wrong with that..that's what the poll is is for, after all, - but in my case, and more so because i need a system that allows me to narrow down the shortlist to just ten songs....i vote for songs that go that little bit further to fight for my attention :).

songs that so narrowly did not make the cut this year:
Juan Maclean, The - One Day
Local Natives - Camera Talk
Tame Impala - Sundown Syndrome
Art Vs Science - Parlez Vous Francais?
Hungry Kids Of Hungary - Scattered Diamonds
Seth Sentry - The Waitress Song
Yves Klein Blue - Getting Wise
King Creosote - Coast On By
Florence & The Machine - Dog Days Are Over
Paul Dempsey - Ramona Was A Waitress
(i thought A Day To Remember might have had a few songs in there..because i'm pretty sure that they had a 2009 release ? or maybe it was last year..the two years have really moulded into one, due to school. i would have liked to have voted for them though, but no major harm done.)

Photobucket

^ Cold War Kid's EP 'Behave Yourself' is due for release early next year..the short clip below is a teaser..

i actually get butterflies whenever i listen to Audience, the first track featured in the video, as well as for We Used to Vacation. that was the first track that i heard by the group..and intially introduced me to their music.
Cold War Kids and Editors are the two artists that i crave to see live, more than anyone or anything else.
theyre almost the only two groups that make me feel exactly the same each time i hear their music as i did the first time that i listened to them two and  three years ago.
they make me smile, they make me cry, and they bring back incredibly de ja vu of books i was reading at the time of first hearing them, where i was standing when i first listened to certain tracks and so many other pockets of my life that i would have gone forgotten if not for their music.
the honesty in their words and music is never lost in translation.



Strength is so important.
I like to be different in my own quiet way.
My inspiration is the person I want to be.
You have to be able to find beauty in the mundane and to see your reflection in a mudpuddle.

There was a great tenderness to the sadness
when I would go there. She knew how much
I loved my wife and that we had no future.
We were like casualties helping each other
as we waited for the end. Now I wonder
if we understood how happy those Danish
afternoons were. Most of the time we did not talk.
Often I took care of the baby while she did
housework. Changing him and making him laugh.
I would say Pittsburgh softly each time before
throwing him up. Whisper Pittsburgh with
my mouth against the tiny ear and throw
him higher. Pittsburgh and happiness high up.
The only way to leave even the smallest trace.
So that all his life her son would feel gladness
unaccountably when anyone spoke of the ruined
city of steel in America. Each time almost
remembering something maybe important that got lost.

- 'Trying to have something left over', Jack Gilbert

Photobucket
image via

(we think there's probably free wine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

your thoughts will be read and appreciated, thanks for taking the time x