11.4.09

excuses, excuses.

geeez, i've been blogging like there's no tomorrow lately, i think its time to cut back..

but before i do so, i'd like to share some pretty words i've had archived away for a rainy day, and some pretty music wit chu.

i've been listening a lot to Elbow's album 'The Seldom Seen Kid' and Plaid's 'Not for Threes' lately. They're both pretty experimental & have this fantastic instrumentation, but plaid's a lot more electronic & abstracto than Elbow. Oh and some Passion Pit was thrown into the mix too :D

In the cover of Crowded House's album 'Recurring Dream' are these words:
'British humourist Spike Milligan once recalled how he was in the throes of a nervous breakdown. Alone in bed and crying uncontrollably, he noticed his baby daughter walking towards his bed, arms outstretched. In her hand was a glass of water. She wanted to give something. Something to make it alright. This was all she could find.
A while ago someone asked me to sum up the music of Crowded House. For some reason, I responded with that tale – perhaps because it’s simultaneously the saddest and most uplifting thing I’ve heard.
Like Neil Finn’s voice when he sings, “I don’t pretend to know what you want \ But I offer love” on ‘Distant Sun’.
Remember when those otherworldly first chords to ‘Weather With You’ chime into view, like a postcard from a dream? Only to be shot to pieces on the line ‘Things ain’t cooking in my kitchen’? Ah well, you see, that’s a Crowded House moment. As indeed, is the chorus of ‘World Where You Live’. That’s why you won’t be able to listen to it without grinning like a goon.
If you’re new to Crowded House, then I’m sure that in time you’ll find your own Crowded House moments. It’s a personal thing. But if there’s one thing that delights me more than hearing these songs, it’s the thought that someone somewhere will be playing them for the very first time. Welcome.'

The character Jacob Coote in the movie Looking for Alibrandi made this speech on an open day for school debating/politics ish:
'Two things happened to me yesterday. The first was that I received all this shit in the post about voting for the first time. So I tore it up and chucked it in the bin because I reckon politicians are a bunch of dickheads and they bore me stupid. Then the second thing is that my old man wanted to watch this documentary on SBS..about insects rooting on fig leaves.. so I caught the end of the ‘World News’. And I saw these three guys dragging a friend of theirs who’d been shot.
And he’d been shot by their own army ‘cause they were protesting about something.
The only thing I understood was the guy wore a Nick Cave T-shirt. But, then I wondered how some guy my age, with my taste in music, gets himself into a situation where his own government tries to kill him just because he has something to say. And I figured that in this country we vote, not to get the best party in, cos there’s no such thing, but we vote to keep the worst party out. Because I kind of like the idea of standing up here and calling our Prime Minister a dickhead without someone trying to shoot me and stop you all from listening. And because I don’t want to end up on the news some day being watched by some ignorant idiot from the other side of
the world who believes that this can’t happen to him. Cheers.'

In Donnie Darko, Drew Barrymore's character quotes this:
'This famous linguist once said that of all the phrases in the English language, of all the endless combinations of words in all of history, that Cellar Door is the most beautiful.'

and in Amelie, an unsuccessful writer by the name of Hipolito whips out this little
slice of paradise:
'Without you, today's emotions would be the scurf of yesterday's.'

The cover art of Fleet Foxes’ debut self-titled album is a detail of the 1559 painting Netherlandish Proverbs by Pieter Bruegel the Elder, vocalist/guitarist Robin Pecknold notes that:
'When you first see that painting it’s very bucolic, but when you look closer there’s all this really strange stuff going on…dudes defecating coins into the river and people on fire, people carving a live sheep..I liked that the first impression is that it's just pretty, but then you realize that the scene is this weird chaos. I like that you can’t really take it for what it is, that your first impression of it is wrong.'

I also really like 'Only as you gasp your dying breath shall you understand, your life amounted to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean! Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?' and 'So much depends upon a red wheelbarrow glazed with rainwater beside the white chickens'.

hmm, i think that's everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your thoughts will be read and appreciated, thanks for taking the time x